'No More Fear!'
Sometimes God calls us to do hard things. Fear is natural but God provides tools to overcome fear. The Word of God is filled with many “Fear Not” statements. We need to focus on the faithfulness of God:
- God sees.
- God knows.
- God cares.
- God will intervene.
Psalm 91 gives us a picture of God’s care in difficult times:
- Verse 1: “Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.” We don’t have to be concerned about the sun beating down on us when we rest in His shadow.
- Verse 2: “I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” God will protect us from the attack of the enemy.
- Verse 3: “Surely He will save you from the fowler’s snare and from the deadly pestilence.” The snare of the fowler is entrapment and God will save us from that.
- Verse 4: “He will cover you with His feathers, and under His wings, you will find refuge;
His faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.” Under His wings is a picture of a mother hen or bird protecting their young. The shield represents defense and rampart combat.
- Verse 5: “You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day…” The terror of night is something that we cannot see because of the darkness while the arrow that flies by day covers the daily challenges that come our way.
How do we overcome fear?
- Verses 11-13: “For He will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; 12 they will lift you up in their hands so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.13 You will tread on the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent.” God provides spiritual help for us. We often see in Scripture the phrase “But God” which tells us that God intervenes for us.
- Verse 14-15:14 “’ Because he loves Me,’ says the Lord, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges My name. 15 He will call on Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him.” God is active in our lives and rescues and protects us. He is with us when we go through trouble.
- Verse 16: “With long life, I will satisfy him and show him My salvation.” We need not fear death. God has promised a long life. That does not mean time but a life of fulfillment.
God is faithful!