The Grudge-Faith to Forgive
The Grudge, Part 2
Faith to Forgive
Genesis 50:15-2l Story of Joseph extending forgiveness to his brothers.
God tells us clearly to forgive. Matthew 5:43-44: “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you…”
What Forgiveness Is Not
- Forgiveness is not forgetting
- Forgiveness is not fair. Psalm 103:10-12 “He does not treat us as our sins deserveor repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is His love for those who fear Him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us. “
What Forgiveness Is
- Forgiveness is giving others what God gave you. God’s forgiveness overflows to us and should overflow to others. How is your flow? Ephesians 4:32 “Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.”
- Forgiveness is an opportunity for freedom. God wants you to forgive because He loves you. Forgiveness bring freedom, peace, healing, more faith, less bitterness and joy. Matthew 6:14-15.
How and How Much Forgiveness Should You Give? Luke 17:3-5 tells us seven times in a day. Seven is the number of completion. In other words, keep forgiving. The apostles must have thought this was hard and asked Jesus to increase their faith. Faith must come before feelings. Forgiveness doesn’t change your past, it changes your future.
- Pray for them.
- Stop talking about them...to yourself and to others.
- Help them. Romans 12:20 “If your enemy is hungry, feed him;if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”