A Faithful Mother
A Faithful Mother
Text: Hebrews 11:23, Exodus 2:1-10
Throughout Scripture, we see mothers given honor. God, Himself demonstrates attributes that we see in godly mothers. What does it mean to be a faithful mother and where do you look in the Bible for people of faith? Hebrews chapter 11 gives us a roll call of people of faith. Verse 23 mentions Moses’ parents as people of faith who defied the king’s edict to save their child. It takes faith to be a parent.
Hebrews 11:23: 23 By faith Moses’ parents hid him for three months after he was born because they saw he was no ordinary child, and they were not afraid of the king’s edict.
Let us look at the character of a faithful mother:
- She is not afraid to step out in faith. There are no “What ifs?” in her life. She looks forward and not back. God does not give her a spirit of fear but instead makes her fearless. It comes naturally to be fearful but God delivers us from fear.
- Moses’ mother set up safeguards for Baby Moses. A faithful mother does the same, surrounding her family in prayer.
- Super Model. She models Christ to her family and trains them to follow Him.
God is the greatest demonstration of what a faithful mother should be. Throughout Scripture, we are given descriptions of God with characteristics of a mother.
- Deuteronomy 32:18: You deserted the Rock, who fathered you; you forgot the God who gave you birth.
- Isaiah 66:13: As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you; and you will be comforted over Jerusalem.”
- Matthew 23:37: “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing.