Acts 19:21: 21 After all this had happened, Paul decided to go to Jerusalem, passing through Macedonia and Achaia. “After I have been there,” he said, “I must visit Rome also.”
In this verse, we see that Paul is moving forward. He had plans to pass through Macedonia and Achaia on his way to Jerusalem and eventually visit Rome.
What do we need to do to move forward with God?
- We need great purpose. (God has a purpose for each of us.)
- We need great principles (to live by).
- We need great power (God’s power).
- We need great people (to surround us).
We are not meant to live the Christian life alone. We need to surround ourselves with great people of faith. These verses show a roll call of people Paul surrounded himself with on his travels.
Acts 20:4-6: 4 He was accompanied by Sopater son of Pyrrhus from Berea, Aristarchus and Secundus from Thessalonica, Gaius from Derbe, Timothy also, and Tychicus and Trophimus from the province of Asia. 5 These men went on ahead and waited for us at Troas. 6 But we sailed from Philippi after the Festival of Unleavened Bread, and five days later joined the others at Troas, where we stayed seven days.
Here some ways to move forward:
- Invite people to do life with you. Ministry goes better when we do it together. Ecclesiastes 4:9-12: 9 Two are better than one because they have a good return for their labor: 10 If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up. 11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? 12 Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
- Live in the moment… especially with those we love. How often we are thinking ahead and not really listening when someone is speaking to us.
- Be humble. Humility is attractive and draws people, unlike a haughty spirit which pushes people away.
- Remove distractions. Turn off social networks and connect with people personally.
- Be a person of influence. God expects us to use our influence for good. There are some people who influence others for evil. Jesus came to serve and we are happiest when we follow His example and serve others.
Are you moving forward?