Seven Words of the Savior
Seven Words of the Savior...and what it means for us.
Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing. Luke 23:32-34. It means we are Totally Forgiven.
- Truly I tell you, today you will be with Me in paradise. Luke 23:42-43 (Jesus’ words to the thief on the cross). It means for us Immediate Paradise...when we close our eyes on earth, we can confidently know that we will open them in Heaven.
- Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani? (which means “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?” It means that we are Never Forsaken.
- Woman here is your son. John 19:26. (Jesus spoke these words to his mother and also to John so she would be cared for after His death.) For us, this means Constant Care.
- I thirst. John 19:28. What does this mean for us? Full Atonement. Luke 22:42 tells us Jesus willingly took the cup for our sins.
- It is finished. John 19:30. This means just what it says: It is finished! This is a business term. Jesus paid our sin debt and we owe nothing.
- Father, into Your hands I commit My spirit. Luke 23:46. What does this mean for us? Eternal Commitment. God has us in His hands. John 10:29: My Father, Who has given them to Me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of My Father’s hand.